Leah Gibbs and her three children have been left homeless after a kitchen fire last week made their house unlivable.
The Sapphire Crescent home sustained substantial smoke, water and structural damage when the kitchen caught fire on Wednesday, December 14.
Just after 2pm on Wednesday, December 14, Fire and Rescue NSW was called to the Merimbula property, supported by Merimbula Police, the Rural Fire Service and a hazmat crew from Bega.
Fire fighters contained the fire quickly, extinguishing the blaze within a couple of hours.
Ms Gibbs and her three sons were all unharmed in the incident. They managed to salvage some of their possessions but are unable to live in the house.
The family was renting the house at the time and now Ms Gibbs says she is struggling to find another rental.
They are currently living in a local motel but have been told they need to be out by 10am on Boxing Day, Monday December 26.
She said she can pay up to $380 a week and is looking for a three bedroom place, but being so close to Christmas and the holiday period she hasn’t been able to find the family a new home.
“My nine-year-old son is traumatised, he doesn’t know what’s happening for Christmas, it’s really hard,” Ms Gibbs said.
People have offered to donate furniture and other necessary items to the family but Ms Gibbs said she is unable to accept anything at the moment because they have no storage facilities.
Ms Gibbs contacted the News Weekly in the hope that the paper could help her find a new home.
She said she is not looking for hand outs and is simply asking for anyone who may be looking to rent out their house that they consider her family.
“I usually don’t ask for help, I am usually a very private person, but my children’s world has been ripped from them. They need a home, I can’t have them living this way.”
Anyone who is able to help can contact Leah Gibbs directly by sending her a private Facebook message.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.