House of the Week
7 BED | 3 BATH | 2 CAR
- 187-189 Newtown Road, Bega
- Agency: Bega Valley Realty 6492 0426
- Contact: Cassandra Ambrose 0400 361 472 or Rob Schadel 0457 572 073
- Inspect: By appointment
This is a unique opportunity to buy one of Bega's historic gems. Bismark House, circa 1876, is located on a generous triple-sized 3079 square metre block with elevated 360 degree views of Bega. A heritage-listed property, it has maintained most of its original features, which are complemented by a full renovation done in 2009.
The property boasts the original facade, polished hardwood timber floorboards, 12-foot pressed metal ceilings, stained glass doors and sash hung painted timber windows, turned verandah posts and frieze spindles, and wide moulded skirting and architraves.
This is in addition to as many of the original Victorian fixtures and fittings as could be retained. Since 1876 Bismarck house has seen many changes. Most recently it has been operating as a high-end licensed restaurant, cafe and function centre with a fully equipped commercial kitchen. The property has a colourful and rich history and has over time been used as a family home, private hospital, maternity hospital and boarding house.
The property is ready to go with a liquor licence in place, and off-street parking for easily 20 cars. It would also be ideal as high-end bed and breakfast accommodation.
However, Bismark House can also be enjoyed as a stately and generous open plan home with luxurious space. There is potential for up to six bedrooms including a separate one-bedroom studio above the garage. Bismarck House will reward visitors with its historical charm, beauty and location.
Bega has a new hospital, university, shopping precinct and is only 15 minutes from uncrowded beaches. For the perfect lifestyle escape, the opportunities offered by this property are endless. There is current zoning potential for multiple commercial uses under an existing DA or R2 Residential Zoning (subject to council approval).
The Far South Coast of NSW is becoming the go-to place for travellers looking for fine food restaurants spoiled with the bounty the Sapphire Coast offers from its seafood, its fresh produce and dairy industry.
Features at a glance:
- Heritage-listed property
- Full restoration completed in 2009
- Impressive stained-glass entry
- Generous open plan lounge and dining room areas
- Possibility for up to six bedrooms including a separate one-bedroom studio above the garage
- Period features abound - high patterned 12-foot metal ceilings, Victorian fixtures and fittings
- Landscaped gardens with granite cobbled stone paths and cast-iron Victorian lamp posts
- Original hardwood timber floors
- Full commercial kitchen fit out and polished red gum timber bar
- Close to shopping precinct, schools and hospitals with major beach resorts only 15 minutes away
- Potential for multiple commercial uses under existing DA or R2 Residential Zoning (STCA)
Open for Inspection
View other properties which are open for inspection this week here. You can zoom in on the map and click the house icon to see details about a particular property.