Four fire crews attended an intense house fire on Kowara Crescent, Merimbula in the early hours of Friday morning.
A family woke to a fire in their home and were able to successfully evacuate at 2.30am, November 9.
Merimbula and Eden Fire and Rescue units attended the blaze, Merimbula and Pambula Rural Fire Service also arrived to assist.
One resident, a female in her 40s was transported to the South East Regional Hospital. She is currently in a stable condition.
The fire is believed to have sparked from an electrical appliance. Fire and Rescue southern region inspector Phil Eberle said all people were accounted for with no-one trapped inside the house.
“By the time the crews arrived they had to go into defensive fire fighting,” Mr Eberle said.
The house was engulfed in flames, firefighters controlled the blaze and protected surrounding houses.
“It was a very fierce and hot fire, firefighters were unable to enter the building,” Mr Eberle said.
Crews wore breathing apparatus and worked on the fire for 1.5 hours.
“At 4am, a stop message was put through, it took around an hour and a half to put the fire out,” Mr Eberle said.
“The crews have done a great job in making sure the fire hadn’t spread anywhere else and that all persons were accounted for.
“It is a timely reminder that smoke alarms save lives, make sure you have a working smoke alarm,” Mr Eberle said.
Mr Eberle urged residents to contact their landlords or contact Fire and Rescue NSW to have an alarm fitted.
Asbestos removing personnel have assessed the building which contained asbestos.
“We have wet it all down and sprayed PVA glue, there is no risk to the public,” a spokesman said.