Star of the much watched American Monster Jam show, Kreg Christensen, can’t wait to put on a show for his Bega fans on New Year’s Day.
“During my 24 years in the monster truck industry I’ve never received as much enthusiasm as I do from Australian monster truck fans,” Christensen said.
For the very first time, the modified 1500 horsepower methanol fueled vehicles with big tyres and big suspension will bounce on to the Bega Recreation Ground on Sunday, January 1.
“I’ve been in the States for the past few months working on a few projects, but I like to call Australia my second home and can’t wait to come back,” Christensen said.
But the event was called into question at Wednesday’s council meeting by councillor Tony Allen who questioned whether the recreation ground would be in the same condition after the monster trucks had been there as it was before.
Council’s director of community, relations and leisure, Anthony Basford said that there was no guarantee that it would be in the same condition and that it was “likely to be some damage” but that it would be repaired.
Councillor Robyn Bain then asked Mr Basford: “Who did you check with before you agreed to lease out the ground?”
Mr Basford said staff had made the necessary checks.
“When staff came to me about this the first thing was to check with the Bega Roosters and that they were OK with this hire. One of the concerns was that the ground wouldn’t be in a fit condition post use,” Mr Basford said.
However he went on to say that as he understood the ground wouldn’t be used by the Roosters until April, it was not going to be a problem.
He said that there was no risk to the rugby matches “with what we have put in place”.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.