Inquest into disappearance of Sylvia Pajuczok opens

An inquest into the disappearance of Sylvia Pajuczok, 53, of Eden heard on Monday that police have been unable to find the body of the woman they believe to have been murdered six years ago despite extensive searches and the offer of a reward for information.

Ms Pajuczok disappeared on Christmas Eve 2008 after driving to Bombala two days earlier to visit her brother and friends. She was last seen at the home of a male friend in Rockton, south of Bombala, on Christmas Eve.

After her green Toyota Tarago was found on the side of the Monaro Highway, 10km south of Bombala, on December 27, 2008, near the intersection of Mila Road, Ms Pajuczok’s family became increasingly concerned for her welfare.

Ms Pajuczok's van was locked with many of her personal belongings including her glasses, cigarettes, food and her mobile phone left inside.

The counsel assisting told the inquest that her car keys and wallet were missing and she had probably "met with foul play".

Some time after her disappearance Ms Pajuczok's bank account had not been accessed.

The inquest at Glebe Coroner’s Court heard that at the time there were extensive ground searches in the Rockton area with a team of mounted police. Police rescue squad officers also scoured the Gulf Road and Bondi Forest Way areas using all terrain vehicles, with the assistance of a police cadaver dog.

Abandoned buildings and huts were searched and nearby occupants questioned, police told the Coroner Mark Douglass.

Early in 2010 there were pleas from the mother of three’s children urging anyone with information to come forward.

Although an inquest originally started in December 2013 it was adjourned so that police could pursue further lines of enquiry.

Monday’s inquest heard that there was evidence that Ms Pajuczok was suffering from an emotional or psychological disturbance at the time but police believe they are dealing with a murder case.

The inquest has been adjourned until October.