Surfer’s death shock

Old man of the surf dies doing what he loves

A life-long surfer has died doing what he loved so much. The surfer, in his 60s was pulled from the water yesterday morning about 9am, but sadly was unable to be revived.

The Eden man was surfing at Quondola Beach between Pambula and Eden yesterday morning. A NSW Police spokesman said the man, had been found unconscious lying face down in the water by fellow surfers. 

A NSW Police spokesperson said the man was pulled unconscious from the water by fellow surfers, who performed CPR in an attempt to save him. Meanwhile emergency services including police, paramedics and surf life savers, rushed to the scene. The Westpac 3 emergency helicopter was also diverted from Barlings Beach where a search was continuing for Ralph Buchanan who has been missing since Sunday after his plane crashed, claiming the life of his flying companion Graham White.

President of the Pambula Surf Life Saving Club, Don Hay told the News Weekly: “We received a call to say that members of the public were given resuscitation to a man on Quondola Beach. We sent three members of the team to help.”

Mr Hay said that on arrival police and paramedics were already at the scene and the surf life savers were told that the man was unable to be revived.

A NSW Ambulance spokesman said the paramedics were called to the beach around 9am and arrived to find the man deceased.

“He was a good surfer and a keen fisherman.”

Surfing legend, Henry Jones

The Westpac Life Saver Helicopter had been deployed to the beach about 9.20am but was stood down about 20 minutes later, when the man was pronounced dead.

Local surfing legend, Henry Jones, of Greigs Flat, said that Quondola Beach was a favourite spot for some local surfers. “It’s a good surfing beach and people can drive in and check the surf quite easily. You can just run down a track and check it out. It’s the easiest beach along there to access.”

Mr Jones said that the surfer who died was well-known to the local surfing community and that Quondola Beach was one of his favourite spots.

“He was a good surfer and a keen fisherman,” Mr Jones said.

Another local surfer, who did not wish to be named said that the man had been a life-long surfer and had died doing what he loved.

The NSW Police spokesman said that police would prepare a report for the coroner and that the death was not being treated as suspicious.

As the News Weekly went to press the man had not been formally identified.