Fire has destroyed a garage and come within striking distance of a neighbouring home at Oak Flats, in the early hours of Monday morning.
Residents of both properties were asleep when the blaze broke out in the rear garage of a home on Wentworth Street, about 3.15am.
Vicki Streatfeild was visiting a nearby home and was woken by the sound of the blaze, which authorities believe was the result of an improperly extinguished backyard fire on Sunday night.
“I heard some weird crackling and little explosion – little bangs,” Ms Streatfeild said.
“I lay there for a bit and it kept happening. I got out of bed and looked over the road and the shed was well and truly alight.
“The next door neighbours got out because it had gone into the shed at the back of their house. Be casue they have a weatherboard, not a brick house, they were quite concerned that it was going to spread.”
“The house next door could have gone up very quickly.”
Residents of the affected homes moved their cars away from the blaze. Meantime, fire crews quickly extinguished the fire. Hazardous materials crew returned later on Monday to handle a bottle of potentially explosive liquid material.
Police say the circumstances surrounding the blaze are not suspicious.