The NSW Government will provide up to $3 million to support the extension of the Breakwater Wharf in the Port of Eden, Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner and Member for Bega Andrew Constance announced on Thursday, March 13 in Eden.
Mr Stoner said the wharf extension could deliver a major boost to the local economy.
“This wharf extension will allow the Port of Eden to accommodate more and larger cruise ships, as well as the possibility of vessels servicing industry needs.
“With the extension, cruise vessels will be able to berth alongside the wharf, disembarking passengers more comfortably than by tender, as is currently the case.
“The Australian Cruise Ship industry is growing at the order of some 20 per cent each year, and Carnival Australia alone expects to have 26 port calls per annum to Eden by 2018.
“With up to 2,000 cruise ship passengers potentially visiting Eden and the wider region on each visit, this could provide a significant economic boost to local restaurants, cafes and regional attractions on the Sapphire Coast,” Mr Stoner said.
Member for Bega Andrew Constance welcomed the $3 million investment in local infrastructure.
“This commitment builds on the Government’s announcement in July last year to offer staggered discounts on navigation charges to vessels visiting Eden, in time for the 2013/14 cruise season.
“Based on the 70,000 gross tonne Pacific Jewel owned by Carnival Australia, the full Government discount equates to approximately $40,000 for each vessel visit to Eden,” he said.
Mr Stoner said NSW Government funding for the Breakwater Wharf extension would be contingent on the success of a bid for Community Development Grant Program funding from the Commonwealth Government.